Tuesday, January 13, 2009

French cinema is now an orphan

So says Gilles Jacob about the death of Claude Berri. It is truly a sad day for French cinema in losing Berri - an iconic figure who changed the French cinematic landscape. I will always remember him most fondly for the Jean de Florette and Manon des Sources pairing - which incidentally I had for Christmas this year (well, I bought them for my mum to give me, and she actually forgot to do so on xmas day until I reminded her). I think Emmanuelle Beart was my first incidence of a lesbian crush actually, I thought she was perfection.

There are only a handful of individuals in French cinema who have been as prolific as he, and who have straddled that art-house/mainstream border like he has. Nathanael Karmitz is another is the same vein who spings to mind. I throughly enjoyed 'Couscous' which he produced recently. I'm also aware that he made a great short with 'Le Poulet' back in 1962 - next quest is to get my hands on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment