Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Heathrow Protest

Got an invitation to this late yesterday evening:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/blog/2009/jan/12/activists-travelandtransport

from an art group I recently got invited to on facebook. Alas I'm not in London right now so I couldn't have gone, although I probably wouldn't have been up for it last minute (having missed previous messages before I joined the group). However, I think I would have definitely been up for it. I really wish there was a bit more May 1968 spirit in the world today. That said, I did read that the protestors from the last high profile demonstration at Heathrow - many of the students and young people - are being sued by Ryanair amongst others for loss of earnings and damages to reputation. Seems like they've got themselves it quite a mess and may end up with criminal records too. I know that most recruiters in the professional world aren't like me, but if someone had a conviction for demonstrating, it would definitely not put me off recruiting them - more the contrary if anything. There is too much passivity in the UK today - we are consumers in every way - and it's important to make your mind up about what you think is right and wrong sometimes and to stand up for it. It is worth noting that the invitation I got yesterday was an extremely pacifistic one - it would be an art and peace orientated protest with no disruption or annoyance (these are your clasues for arrest). However, they were fully prepared for arrest and gave full instructions for what you should do if this occurred. Sounded quite exciting really...

No comments:

Post a Comment